Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Dresser Redo

I have been wanting to get a new dresser for my little boys room. My mother has been getting furniture at the local thrift store and re-painting it and it looks AMAZING!!! We go to the thrift store once a week to see if they have any decent furniture. Well one visit I found this great dresser.  On the top of the dresser it had some swear words carved on the top and I was a little worried. My mother told me that we could fill them in and you would be able to tell. It was also missing some of the knobs on the dresser plus the ones that were on their weren't so cute. So I decided to get it. I was so excited because it was going to turn out so cute.

First we sanded it down, and then primed it. You don't have to do a thick coat of primer. After the primer dried I painted it with my favorite paint by General Finishes Milk Paint. The color that I choose is called Brick Red.  This paint is AMAZING!!! You need a good paint when painting your furniture. It really makes a big difference.

I put two coats of the brick red on the dresser. After the paint dried, I applied General Finishes Polyacrylic Water Based Top Coat that is a Semi Gloss. I did two coats all over the dresser and an extra (which would be third coat) on the top of the dresser. People put things on top of dressers so buy protecting it with a extra coat on top, you don't have to worry as much.

After everything was dry I added my cute knobs and it looks AMAZING!!! I did have some before pictures and pictures of the process of painting on my moms camera, but she accidentally erased them. So all I have is the after pictures.


If you have any questions leave a comment below.

0 comments: