Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

How to wash fresh Berries so they last longer

I had read about cleaning your fresh berries so they lasted longer & so I decides to try it.  We buy & grow a lot of strawberries, and they always seem to go bad before we can eat them.   Usually we just eat what we can & then put the rest in the freezer before they spoil-- but this is GREAT and it works.
I poured 1/2 cup of white vinegar into a large bowl & added 5 cups of cold water to it- rinsed my cartons of strawberries and put them stem & all into the mixture.  I let them set 5 minutes (well one time I forgot about them and they were in there for about 20 minutes) and they were still fine....  



then took them out of the water and vinegar mixture and placed them on a dish towel to air dry.
When they were dry I put them in the fridge- they have been in there 2 days & still look great.
The vinegar kills the bacteria- and stops the mold from forming, it doesn't affect the taste at all-- so there you have your tip for the day!! 

0 comments: