Pages

Monday, October 29, 2012

Cinnamon Rolls you can Freeze

I have been doing a lot of freezer meals and I love them. I have been searching for a great cinnamon roll recipe that I can freeze. I have tried a bunch of different recipes and decided to combine some of them that I like.

Makes 3 dozen cinnamon rolls
Dough
-4 cups of warm milk (I used 1%)
-4 Tbsp of yeast
-6 cups of whole wheat flour
-6 cups of white flour
-4 eggs
-1 cup sugar
-4 tsp salt
-1 cup shortening

Warm 4 cups of milk in microwave for about 2 mins. Mix together all ingredient except 6 cups of flour (I used 6 cups of my whole wheat flour first).

Stir in the remaining 6 cups of flour. Once all mixed you may need to add some more flour if it still is sticky.

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Spray a oven save bowl with cooking spray, and play dough in bowl. When oven is preheated, turn oven off and play bowl in oven. Let dough rise for about 20-30 mins depending on your oven.

When dough has risen, punch it down. Sprinkle flour on counter and place dough on counter. Roll dough into a rectangle.

Next take a stick of butter or margarine (make sure it's at room temperature so it's easy to spread) and whip it until smooth. Spread it all over the dough. Try not to get too close to the edges.
Take some cinnamon sugar and brown sugar and sprinkle all over. I really don't use any measurements on this part, I just estimate. You may also add at this time raisins, nuts, chocolate chips, crushed candy bars or anything you want.
 Next you want roll up your dough. Try to roll really tight.
Mark about 1 inch lines at the top of your dough so you know where to cut it. My mother-in-law told me to cut my cinnamon rolls with floss, and it works AMAZING!!

Now is the time where you can bake all your cinnamon rolls, freeze them or half and half.

To serve: Let the cinnamon rolls rise for about 30-35 mins. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake them for 15-20 mins depending on your oven

To freeze: Take the unbaked cinnamon rolls and place them on a baking sheet and freeze them for about an hour. When they are done you may place them in one gallon freezer baggies. Label the bag- Put frozen cinnamon rolls on a sprayed baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap place in oven overnight.  In the morning, preheat oven 375 degrees F and bake for 15-18 mins depending on your oven.

While the cinnamon rolls are baking you can make the frosting.
-3 oz of cream cheese (room temperature)
-1/4 butter
-1 cup powered sugar
-1 tsp vanilla extract ( I have use almond and lemon extract too)
-1 tsp of milk

Take cream cheese and blend until smooth. Then add the butter and blend until smooth. Add milk, vanilla, and powered sugar until creamy. You might have to add more milk depending on the consistency you want.

I hope you enjoy these delicious cinnamon rolls just like my family does!!!

0 comments: